I often come across Facebook fan pages and wonder about the motivation behind them. Plenty of fan pages make sense. I follow the local news and some of my favorite blogs and websites. I can even see following a favorite celebrity or television series. Others, are head scratchers. For example, what inspires someone to create a page title such as “That Public Toilet Probably Has an STD on the Seat?” Did the person who created the group come across this toilet in his travels? If so, I have to wonder about some of the places he’s visiting. And, really, what does one do in a group such as this? Those who “like it” certainly aren’t in there discussing toilet seatery. They’re liking for the sake of liking since not one of the 3,200 people who “like” this page find it especially discussion worthy.
There are no innocent parties when it comes to Facebook fannery. Everyone has either started a page, “liked a page,” or, at the very least, smiled and nodded after seeing a friend “like” a page that especially resonates with us. Indeed, I’ve even considered starting my own Facebook fan pages, mostly out of frustration or boredom. Some titles I’ve toyed with include “Why Do I Bother Making Up a Shopping List When I’m Going to Forget Stuff Anyway?” “Stop Telling Me to Put On a Sweater, I Shouldn’t Have to Dress in Layers in My Own Home,” “If you don’t read my blog how come you can quote everything I write verbatim,” and “If You’re the One that Wanted the Dog So Bad, Why Am I the One Picking Up His Crap?” I don’t have the nerve though. I’m afraid that people would actually join and then I’d have to stimulate some sort of discussion. Frankly, I don’t have that kind of time. Even so, I thought it might be fun to explore some of the more interesting Facebook pages and groups out there.
How many of these do YOU “like?”
- I don’t care about your farm, your fish, your park or your mafia – 6,007, 186 members – (I’ve been tempted to join this one myself.)
- Pretending to Text in Awkward Situations – 3, 718,385
- I Will Go Slightly Out of My Way to Step on a Crunchy Looking Leaf – 2,075, 261 members
- Awkwardly standing there as your friend talks to someone you don’t know - 2,608,062 members (Who among us hasn’t been there before?)
- Dear Pringles, I cannot fit my hand inside your tube of deliciousness – 1,184,671 members ( Then maybe you should just pour them out like the rest of us?)
- I Hate When One String of My Hoodie Becomes Longer Than the Other – 1,525,749 (bummer.)
- If You Tailgate Me I Will Intentionally Slow Down to Piss You Off- 1, 438, 313 members
- The Guy Who Discovered Milk…What Was He Doing With That Cow? 1, 316, 399 members (Part of me wants to know this answer, the rest of me is thinking it’s best not to know.)
- Finding a Bruise on Your Body and Not Knowing Where You Got It – 649, 891 (Who wouldn’t be a fan of anonymous bruising?)
- I Wasn’t Grumpy Until You Accused Me of Being Grump. Now I’m Just Pissed -671,452
- Half my problems would be gone if I never associated with you 331,082 members
- Can This Poodle Wearing a Tinfoil Hat Get More Fans than Glen Beck? 277,754
- Why Don’t Mosquitoes Suck Fat and Cellulite Instead of Blood? – 194, 288 members
- If Guns Kills People, Do Pencils Misspell Words? 94,949 members (Silly, no one uses pencils anymore.)
- I Hate Battery Low - 1,250 Members (Perhaps you might charge that puppy rather than create a FAcebook page in protest? )
Have you come across some funny or unusual Facebook fan pages? Feel free to share them in the comments.