Dear Internet Marketers,
I’m not naive. I know the reason you’re offering free webinars, ebooks and other products and services is to get me to sign up for your mailing list. I’ve been around the block a few times and I get that you’re not really offering something for nothing. Free info products aren’t free, they always come with an upsell or specific request. I get it.
Here’s what I don’t like.
I don’t like when you’re not clear what I’m receiving in return for the download.
- If I’m signing up for your mailing list, tell me.
- If I’m going to receive email from you Every. Single. Day, tell me.
- If I’m going to receive email from you once a week, tell me.
- If your email updates are going to include more selling than teaching, tell me.
- If the product is available for a price so I don’t have to get put on your list, tell me.
- If you’re going to upsell immediately upon my downloading your freebie, tell me beforehand.
I understand you’re trying to make a living and you have something to sell and I don’t begrudge you that. However, if I’m signing up for something I think it would be great customer service let me know exactly what I’m signing up for. If you as an Internet marketer don’t wish to be associated with smarmy people, please don’t use smarmy tactics. Be honest about my membership and what it entails and don’t try and get one over, otherwise you’re no less annoying than a telemarketer.
Thanks so much for understanding,