I used to own and blog for a top blog; the number one blog in its niche. I blogged every day and researched keywords and best practices. In fact, it became an obsession to do it right, the way the pros were telling me to do it. I suppose it all worked and that’s why my network of blogs was the top resource in the niche, but it was also stressful and I always worried about losing my traffic and community because I didn’t use the right keyphrases or I didn’t use the right amount of keywords v. links in each blog post. After I sold my blog network and revived this one, I decided it would be a little more relaxed and I wouldn’t stress over the rules so much.
I don’t have the traffic of my former blog, nor do I blog on the same rigid schedule, but it’s definitely not as stressful. It works for me an it looks like it’s working for my community. Still, I know I’m doing it wrong.
- I don’t use keywords.
- I don’t use X amount of keywords per X amount of words
- I don’t always link to my own stuff in each post.
- I don’t always link to other people’s stuff in each post.
- I don’t post every day.
- I don’t often go for scandal and controversy.
- I don’t comment on other blogs every day (but I try to get out about once a week)
- I don’t promote every post (but I do drop links to most of them on Twitter.)
- I blog too short.
- I blog too long.
- I forget to check my stats
- I don’t always break up my text with subheads and bullets
- I don’t guest post on other blogs enough (but that’s a time issue more than anything else)
- I don’t drop links to this blog everywhere I go.
- I have conversations with friends over promotional pitch fests
- I don’t always proofread
- I have a confusing blog name and domain
- I don’t respond to comments every day (but I still try and come back and respond)
- I don’t always respond to every single comment (because sometimes that’s redundant)
- I don’t sell ebooks, courses, webinars or other products of the week.
Now, it doesn’t mean I don’t care to do any of the above or that I think they’re wrong. I just decided I like blogging better when it’s not my sole source of income. I have a job I love, a book in the works and that means I can relax and blog in a way that makes sense for me.
What are some of the things you’re doing wrong with your blogging?